Fast tracking to disaster? The MLM (Multi-Level Marketing) time / income curve – IS Network Marketing.
There are many graphic versions of the Network Marketing, Multi-level Marketing Income / Time curve and I particularly like this one I came across recently by John Counsel (The Profit Clinic), which illustrates the curve very well and highlights some important elements.
Income from Network Marketing comes from results not activity.
So no matter how ‘busy’ you are and how much time you are spending on your business, the results ONLY come about when you actually sell your service / product (to others, or to yourself) or actually recruit more people and grow your network of people who are also selling / recruiting, therefore increasing the productivity – Results – of your organisation. Working harder in itself is not the best way to increase your results and not working hard enough is not the reason for poor results either… (Is the 24/7 work ethic in Network Marketing healthy or even effective)
However, spending time learning the ‘how’ IS the way to go. But the HOW can look different for different people and as an Independent Distributor you have a wonderful opportunity to bring all your skills, strengths, experience, knowledge and to a model that will absolutely reward you (financially) for the results when you achieve them. Successful Network Marketing businesses take time to build “What’s a reasonable ‘Time Frame’ for success in Network Marketing?”
Some of you will be aware of the concept of ‘throwing mud at the wall’ an approach which is inherent in Network Marketing and one that I regularly challenge.
If we are to increase results and we look honestly at the high attrition rate in NM and the vast number of Distributors who ‘struggle’ to achieve tangible results, when the products / services / marketing plan / companies are clearly high quality and do pay well for results, then what if more attention was paid to:
- The NM time / income model – The NM model – The NM model (see illustration above)
- The apprenticeship – that period of time where learning the most effective ways of achieving results is the primary commitment – NO results necessary or even encouraged at this stage – the apprenticeship is valued highly and recognition that everyone learns differently, at different speeds and comes into NM with a vastly different spectrum of skills, experience, strengths, knowledge, understanding, personal attributes, circumstances and ‘goals’ is given full attention. All those things that bring huge potential for a strong and stable business when considered and incorporated effectively. By making use of this time effectively with no emphasis on results at all – just learning your craft. A bit like starting a normal business … and it’s normal for NM too.
- Fast Tracking – The NM model shows it is normal to have little or no results in this stage – let’s stop telling people they can beat the model and the apprenticeship by fast tracking “if you achieve this (…) in the first two months you’ll be win our incentive / extra bonus”; or comparing (“John Jones made ££££ in 6 weeks…”, “If I / he can do it so can you…”). It’s a massive distraction from the real work and learning that needs to be done and undermines the stability and sustainability of Network Marketing. The Apprenticeship is the foundation and platform to achieve AND maintain that Network Marketing upward growth curve. Who is fast tracking really for anyway? The new network marketing business owner? The company? The Upline? …
What if more attention was paid to:
- Finding, attracting and working with those people who are already looking (for an extra / alternative income / new business / life or career change) – using methods and tools that have been explored and developed during the apprenticeship. People who want an NM business. People who understand the business / products / services and want to commit to the apprenticeship because they chose it. People who are not phased by the good, the bad and the ugly, because they knew about it already, understood it and get all their questions answered and still chose it. People who are not phased by the NM curve, in fact embrace it, because they are here for the long haul. And they will get results.
- Developing your own skills, building a supportive, collaborative community – where everyone can contribute and learn from each other. With the emphasis on ways to increase results, one self-motivated, committed person at a time.
what if more attention was paid to:
- A MUCH lower attrition rate and the only mud you throw being handfuls of hot health giving brown stuff found in wonderful venues around the world. And with all the stress and energy of throwing it at the wall and making it stick in your NM business gone out of the window, you may no longer feel the need to hanker after those either
- RESULTS – Yes, there may be less people ’in’ (signed up within) your organisation, but if the people who ARE there are committed to and actually achieving results – with little or no input from you – they finished their apprenticeship… and they have a community of people (including you) around them who are full of great ideas, support and resources to meet their needs and continue to increase their results – everyone gains from the ‘intelligent growth curve’
Finally, what if more attention was paid to:
- People… Real people, living real lives… who want a strong, stable and sustainable life as will build strong, stable and sustainable businesses and keep your organisation alive and well.
Michelle Turner-Davidson is a speaker, trainer, mentor and founder of the NMA (Network Marketing Academy), a fresh, down to earth and open approach to Network Marketing based on real people living real lives.
If you are interested in MLM / Network Marketing or building a business, why not join The NMA (Network Marketing Academy) Facebook Group. You’ll find a like-minded community which focuses on collaboration, resources and where the skills, experience, strengths, personality traits and personal values – and working in a realistic way that works for you – is the platform for success.